Friday, March 4, 2011

Church Hill, Richmond, Va.

Probably my most favorite neighborhood in Richmond was Church Hill. We spent a lot of time walking around Libby Hill Park and the streets, checking out the historic homes.

This neighborhood is one of the earliest incorporated areas of the city. It's on a hill that overlooks the James River, downtown and other neighborhoods.

I would love to live in this neighborhood! It's just so quaint, especially with the Italianate houses, which you know I love. :)

Check out this streetscape. So wonderful! I love it.



Check out this sunset.





The statue was erected in 1894 for Confederate soldiers and sailors. It's at Libby Hill Park, where we saw several kids biking and dogs fetching early in the evening.

We also saw a Segway Tour pass through. The people stopped to check out the view below. The Segway Tours take people to various historic and interesting sites throughout the city. We thought about taking the tour, but opted to explore areas on our own.

Here's a link to the site for the Alliance to Conserve Old Richmond Neighborhoods and one to Church Hill's own news website. These are good sites to learn more about the history of the neighborhood and what's currently happening in the area.

Below the hill, is Shockoe Bottom. We parked at Libby Hill Park one morning and walked down the hill to eat breakfast/brunch at Poe's Pub. Chris and I both ordered frittatas, which may sound like a light breakfast, but it wasn't! Both plates were loaded with eggs, cheese, sauce and veggies. We could have easily shared one between the both of us. 

This pub would be a great place to grab a bite to eat or a drink with some friends. The pub hosts several bands throughout the month, from rock and blues to R&B and country.

If we lived in Church Hill, I could imagine us walking down to the pub often during the week.


2 comments:

  1. Would you mind if I used this blog post/ pictures on my website about Richmond?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Larkin GarbeeSure! I just ask that you give me credit. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete